Thursday, 3 March 2016

Sewing repairs - boro inspired

Our linen pillowcases were showing some wear and tear:

Funnily enough, I had already planned to repair them before I went to the Boro exhibition. But after seeing that I was spurred on to get on with it.

I thought I'd replace the centre section of each pillowslip with a good quality (and hopefully long wearing) cotton.  I'd like to say that I was doing this in the full Boro spirit with fabric I already had on hand, but sadly no, I had to buy something suitable. 

I went with a Japanese quilting fabric, bought from Kimono House

First step was to unpick the pillowcases and then pin the fabric panel in position.

 Once the panel was sewn in place along the edges, the pillowslip was sewn back together and the edges interlocked.

And here's the finished product back on the bed:

 I was pretty satisfied with the result. It took a relatively small amount of effort and we should get many more years of good use from these pillowslips .


No comments:

Post a Comment